Wednesday 23 May 2018

Goodbyes remain my weakest point…

By Nasiphi Sobahle

Hospitality is a social industry and we are often told that we should not associate work with our personal life. However, I find this extremely difficult as we work 12 hours a day, six days a week, with the same people. It is impossible not to grow attached to members and colleagues. How does one separate the two?



This will mark the end of my sixth seasons at the Hunters Run Country Club and one would think that I have mastered saying goodbye. I am always extremely emotional during this time. I have connected so much with the members of the Hunters Run Country Club over the years that they have become my seasonal parents and grandparents.


Majority of the Hunters Run members have witness me grow from strength to strength. I have spent so much time with them that I know their eating habits, their preferences and mastered the art of making them happy and always leaving smiles on their faces after every meal. This job is no longer a task I must complete, it has become a part of me and who I am.


These past two weeks have been bittersweet. I would like to say thank you to all the members that took their time to organize farewell gatherings for me, I am humbled by how much you care, and I will forever be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment