Monday 23 March 2020

Workaway International kick-started my career!

Q&A with past participant, Paul Stoner

We recently got in touch with one of our past participants, Paul Stoner. He started the Workaway International programme in 2008/2009 and worked in the golf department at Boca West.  Since working on the programme, Paul has been appointed as the General Manager at Clovelly Country Club in Cape Town! Paul is proof that hard work pays off. Here is what he had to say:

1. What was your motivation for joining the programme?
I finished my schooling and was unsure of what I wanted to study. My best friend’s aunt and uncle had gone on the Workaway International programme in 2004 and recommended that we give it a try. We had a look at the website and our minds were made up. Next thing we knew, we were on a flight to the USA.

2. Can you elaborate on your career journey - (i.e. what was your first position and how has your career grown from there)?
I started my Workaway International journey in 2008/2009 at Boca West Country Club. I was a marshal across 4 golf courses, however from time to time we job swopped and I assisted with starting the fields of players, parking golf carts and even worked on the driving range. 

After returning to South Africa, I was still unsure about what I wanted to do with my career. I wanted to study, so I went on to earning my BComm and Honours through UNISA while tutoring for additional income. 

Once the tutoring ended, I sent my CV to a few prestigious country clubs in Cape Town, including Clovelly Country Club, Steenberg Golf Club, and Westlake Golf Club to see if I could get back into the industry. 

Steenberg was the first to respond, and I began working in the Pro Shop in 2011, before progressing to Assistant Golf Director in 2014. I held this position for 2 years before moving to the Clovelly Country Club, and the rest is history. I am now completing my Certified Club Managers certification through CMAA.

3. What was your favourite part about being in the USA? 
I loved being in Florida. There were so many great opportunities nearby. We had day trips to Miami, visited amazing theme parks, took trips to Key West and even trips to the Bahamas. There was always a new experience waiting around the corner.

4. What was the most challenging part of your job? 
Being able to address older clients in a firm, yet professional manner was challenging. Managing members, guests and staff's expectations was also tricky. It was my job to ensure that everyone who interacted with the club had their needs satisfied and that their experience was memorable.

5. What is the most common misconception about working abroad?
A common misconception is that you will feel lonely as you do not have an established network, family or support system in the USA.  This couldn’t be further from the truth! From the moment you interact with the Workaway International team, they provide support from the interview through to departing and are there for you throughout the season. Meeting fellow South Africans on the programme also helped. 

6.    What impact has the Workaway International programme had on your career? 
The experience I gained on the Workaway International programme has had a massive impact on my career. It directed me to my current career path. Without this kick start and experience at such a prestigious country club, I may not have pursued this industry.

7.    If you could redo anything about your time in the USA, what would it be? 
I would have stayed longer and applied for the summer season up north.

8. What advice do you have for future applicants? 
Whether you are finishing school or at a crossroads in your career, the Workaway International programme provides applicants with an awesome opportunity to grow and learn. You get to network with people from all over the world and experience working in a world-renowned establishment. You should not be afraid to take a risk and step out of your comfort zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment