Monday 20 June 2011

From the City of Roses to the heart of the People!




Well off to Bloemfontein I go with high spirits and great anticipation on the candidates I’m going to get to meet ……and returners I’m going to have coffee with and just chat to about our adventures we had with Work Away and the members we are missing....


Phew, dripping wet and cold… finally out of the rain, having to climb the stairs to the plane in the thunderstorm at OR Tambo I’m in my seat and ready to head to Bloem… Taking off was entertaining to say the least, turbulence that felt like it lasted 15 minutes was finally over. I got to catch 40 winks…..Flying over Bloem all you see is water. I thought that there has been so much rain it looks like the land is soaked, with cars and houses in water that’s about a foot deep, realizing how fragile we are when it comes to nature… Great, landed and now off to promote in the City of Roses…


Got to meet some great people and even make new friends. Amazed at how not even the weather could dampen the spirits of the new candidates, the venue buzzing with excitement as they all asked questions about the program. Trying to imagine the whole idea of traveling to the USA, seemed unreal to some while others were just wanting to leave as soon as possible…. I met with all and then scheduled interviews… Stocked by the friendliness and warmth of the Free State people, while I was freezzzzing my butt off… I interviewed the candidates and enjoyed having had the opportunity to meet such warm and open people and wish them all the best for the club interviews later on in July and early August… The City of Roses truly is like a flower garden in the spirit of the people who stay in Bloem… This I got to experience firsthand. Friday night I got the opportunity to go out at 10pm, O YES in the Freezzzzing weather and help a church ministry feed hungry people and just talk and encourage them in their current situations knowing that it is reality! Some just don’t have a home or even a warm blanket or a bed that they can sleep on…. I realize how blessed I am and these young people that offer up their time in the cold to go and encourage others truly demonstrates the hearts of the people in the City of Roses…


Bloem, I bid farewell and off to Jozi I go…….. Met up with Tyrone from Sailfish and had a few good laughs at how he is adjusting to being back in SA after being in the USA for 2 years and 8 months. Tyrone got to go on our summer program after his season in Florida and got to do 5 back to back seasons before having had to come home…


Leaving you with food for thought till next time……..





Author: Lucille Earle

No comments:

Post a Comment