Wednesday 13 May 2020

The journey continues...


By Paige Pretorius

In 2017, I started a journey with Workaway International that would change my life forever. My husband (then boyfriend) already decided to apply and while I initially had no intention of applying, the company I had been working for just drained all the life and joy out of me. Deciding to apply to the Workaway International programme was something I did not realize I needed at the time.


After a couple of months (going through the recruitment process), I was on my way to the USA to work at Boca West Country Club in Florida. I started working as a golf shop clerk, where I learned so much. Halfway through the season, I ended up in the retail departments in both golf and tennis. It was an amazing opportunity and I grew so much.



The season at Boca West Country Club was not only about work. We also had plenty of time to play! This programme allowed me to meet incredible people that I would otherwise never get to meet. There was no shortage of amazing experiences with these special people.


During my season at Boca West, my boyfriend was working at Addison Reserve Country Club. I somehow managed to establish a great relationship with them and they so graciously offered me the opportunity to have an interview with a country club up north for the upcoming summer season. The interview went well, and I was offered the retail and shop clerk position at Bald Peak Colony Club in New Hampshire.

Towards the end of the season, we had a huge shortage of staff in the golf operations department and I found myself working in both retail and golf operations. Initially it was a challenge, but I managed in no time and was keeping up with all the guys.

Compared to Florida, everything about New Hampshire is different. The people, the climate, the food, the activities - absolutely everything. It was such a breath of fresh air. To anyone who plans to go on this programme, I truly recommend going up north for the summer season.




The summer season seems to fly by and before you know it you are most likely heading back to Florida for the winter season. Some may be returning to their previous clubs and some may be starting new journeys. Workaway International informed me that I had been offered the retail and shop clerk position at Addison Reserve Country Club. I decided that I would pursue my relationship with them, and it paid off.

The first season with Addison Reserve was truly such an incredible experience, not a day went by that I did not look forward to going to work. I was surrounded by a team that would hold me accountable and keep me in line but would also encourage me and push me to do better.




Instead of going up north for the next season, I went home to marry my best friend and boyfriend - the one that convinced me to take this opportunity with Workaway International in the first place. We had an incredible time back home, but we had to head back to Addison Reserve together for the 2019-2020 season.


  
This last season did not disappoint. I was given more responsibilities and as I took each one of these responsibilities head-on I received even more rewards. Unfortunately, the season was cut short due to the COVID-19 epidemic. However, it was still full of so much excitement, opportunities, and plenty of twists and turns. 




My journey with Workaway International and Addison Reserve is not over because I will be recruiting for Workaway International while I am at home in Durban. I am so looking forward to sharing more experiences and advice with future Durban applicants.



No comments:

Post a Comment