Monday 11 May 2020

Just the beginning


By Andre Pretorius


I can still remember the first day I ever got onto a plane. It was the 24th of October 2014 and the destination was Florida.  I can remember how incredibly anxious I was. A small-town kid, just turned 21 with a fresh diploma in Hospitality Management, flying to the United States of America to start a career in hospitality.

It all started with a manager I worked with while studying Hospitality Management. He was always calm, knowledgeable, and a great mentor. He told me about the Workaway International programme and what it had to offer, how it took him from a server to a manager of a large restaurant. The second I got home I had to get every piece of information. Fortunately, Workaway International is an AMAZING company and their website is extensive and easy to use, getting information about the programme was simple.

I decided to attend one of the presentations in Johannesburg. Charlotte was kind, amazing, and very helpful. I left the presentation knowing this is what I wanted to do, I have never felt so sure in my life.

The process was effortless and before I knew it, I had my first interview set up. With Workaway International’s help, I was able to get a job at the Polo Club of Boca Raton.


When we arrived in Fort Lauderdale, I remember how humid it was and refreshing it was getting into the vans with the AC on full blast. They settled us into our fully furnished apartments, I was in awe of just how beautiful our apartment and surroundings were. It was easy to make friends with the people we were with. I am still friends with some of them today.



We had staff transport pick us up every day, with an extremely nice driver named Carlos, he was always willing to go the extra mile to make sure we were comfortable. We received extensive training over 2 weeks to make sure we have all the tools necessary to succeed. This gave me the confidence I needed to know that I can do this. The rest, as they say, is history.


Now after 7 seasons, 3 of them as a Server Captain, this amazing programme has given me the opportunity to be the Johannesburg recruiter for the upcoming season. I felt like I have truly grown not just in the hospitality space, but as a person. This program has matured me, taught me valuable life lessons, and allowed me to gain friends and mentors for life. It has given me the opportunity to travel across the US and take in all that it has to offer. I have made some of the best memories. I will cherish them forever.




Unfortunately, this season was cut short because of the COVID19 epidemic, but this will not put a damper on our positive attitudes as we will be back in sunny Florida soon! This is only the beginning of our journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment