Monday 18 May 2020

My dramatic return after 5 years!


By Tebogo Masisi

The 2019 - 2020 winter season has been a very remarkable and unforgettable experience for me. For my second season, Workaway International and BallenIsles country club welcomed me back with open arms.



I still remember when BallenIsles country club and Workaway International sent my departure date and told me to collect my travel documentation in Port Elizabeth. Saying goodbye to my family and friends wasn't easy, particularly saying bye to my children - but I knew it was for good. I knew there was no turning back when I got on the first flight from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg. I had to make the best out of this season.


When we arrived in the USA, we went to our apartments. It was awesome because they took us to Turnberry. I remember saying; "Wait, this is 'The Fountains'!." It felt good when the lady, who was in charge of housing in 2014, remembered me.

As soon as I got to work, it felt like home. I had the best welcome from our outlet managers, F&B managers, and most importantly some of the guys I worked with in 2014. I returned in 2019 and they were still there. Work was challenging but good, and I enjoyed being amongst the best team. We call ourselves 'Circle 100'.



Of course, I had to have a little bit of fun and explore Florida. The most memorable experience was when I was in Miami for 3 nights and I was supposed to watch the Miami Heat game. However, due to all the distractions in Miami, I missed it but still ended up having a lot of fun.




Unfortunately, the season was cut short. Many, like me, had plans to go up north and due to the COVID-19 epidemic, our plans changed. I landed in SA on the 1st of May 2020 and was immediately quarantined. It was such an experience for me, as I have never stayed in 1 room for so long. I wouldn't want to do it again.


Thanks to Workaway International and BallenIsles country club for having our best interests at heart. I will be returning to Florida for the upcoming season! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment