Thursday 7 May 2020

Four seasons later

By Natasha Kretschmer

I started my 4th season at The Polo Club of Boca Raton, Florida in October last year. There’s something to be said about a club and your experiences if you choose to return to it for the fourth time. Before I get into how this season played out, I should give you a background story…


I come from a very small town in the Eastern Cape where there isn’t much to do, no movie theatre and a very small, unimpressive 'mall', but none the less a great place to grow up. I got my degree in education from the University of the Free State and 2 years into my teaching career, decided that I wanted to travel while I still could. This is when I heard about Workaway International. I was a successful applicant and before I knew it, I was on my way to South Florida. That was the start of a life-changing experience. Not knowing anyone else at The Polo Club, I quickly learned that no matter what, South Africans are family and I never felt more at home.


I was fortunate enough to be placed as a Recreational Aide in the Tennis Department. I went from Pro Shoppe Clerk to Tennis Concierge, to being a tennis/squash/pickleball pro. This is proof that if you work hard, you will continue to climb the ranks and learn new things. Being a teaching pro became a passion and something that I love, and it still allows me to use the degree that I studied so hard for.




I have been lucky enough to travel quite a bit while in the states. Some notable cities and states include the Florida Keys (an absolute must!), Miami, Las Vegas, Atlanta, New Orleans, South Carolina, Utah, New York, Washington DC, New Mexico, Tennessee, and California. Being a nature lover, I have also been fortunate enough to have visited The Grand Canyon, Bryce National Park, Zion National Park, The Smokey Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, White Sands National Park, and Yosemite National Park. If you work hard, save money, and plan effectively, you can travel while on this programme.

What I got most out of this program is how I’ve grown as a person. When you are alone in a “strange” country you learn so much about yourself and what you are capable of… fast!



The 2019-2020 season is not what anyone could have predicted and not how the Workaway participants wanted the season to end. The COVID-19 epidemic put a stop to everyone’s plans. Going up north for the summer season was an uncertainty and getting home to South Africa while on lockdown was considered impossible. Fortunately, the Workaway International team worked tirelessly and managed to get us all home safely and quickly. It is not ideal but necessary to stay safe and return before our visa’s expired.


After a long charter flight on Ethiopian Airlines, I reached my destination – Cape Town. Arriving at the shutdown Cape Town International Airport, we were greeted by friendly airport staff and in no time, our passports were stamped and our luggage collected. We arrived at our designated quarantine facilities around 12:30 a.m. and was once again greeted by friendly hotel staff welcoming us home. It is currently day 5 of quarantine and so far, so good. Friendly staff, good food, and a clean and safe hotel room make it just a little bit easier to be stuck in a room by yourself for 14 days. 



Once we are released, I will be going to Port Elizabeth on transport organized by Workaway International, where my parents will pick me up. Who knows what the future will hold for us as we are all trying to get used to the new normal. I will take everything day by day and wait for the chance to go back to Sunny Florida, and The Polo Club, for another adventure.

Always make the most of the opportunities given to you, because you never know where they may lead, and, in my experience, it’s usually towards something better than you could ever have anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment