Thursday 21 June 2018

The American Dream


By Christiaan Haasbroek

I did not know what to expect, when I got on the airplane at O.R Tambo International Airport, in Johannesburg. I did as much research as I possibly could before I boarded on a 16-hour flight to New York City…and then off to West Palm Beach, Florida.

I did not know one single person on the plane and thought to myself: “This is going to be one huge challenge, to make new friends in a country that I know very little of”. I arrived in West Palm Beach around 2pm on the 10th of October 2017: we were picked up from the airport; taken to do some shopping for necessities at the local Publix; and arrived at our apartment, which completely exceeded my expectation!


Myself and all the other participants had the day to unpack, and to enjoy the Floridian scenery of stunning beach views and orange skies! I spent the day on the beach and got to know some of my fellow colleagues that have already arrived from Ireland and South Africa.


The next day we arrived at Admirals Cove Country Club, where we all worked together as a team. I was completely amazed at how beautiful the country club and surroundings were – I could not believe that I would be working here for 6 months.


The first 3 months, up to the Christmas Party hosted at one of the other country clubs, was an absolute dream. The friends I made became family. Work was a pleasure to go to everyday and we were offered great guidance and support from the country clubs management. At this point, I felt what “The American Dream” was all about…





No comments:

Post a Comment