Tuesday 12 June 2018

Sebonack, you feel Like HOME!

By Nasiphi Sobahle

Google defines a home as “the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household”. I would go further and claim that home is not a place, it’s a feeling, it is YOU. And Sebonack Country Club feels like HOME! One may wonder, how a workplace could feel like home – I am more than delighted to share the reasons!
Those who are very fond of me know that I am from a very small town in South Africa, a town that is nestled in the heart of East Griqualand, a small town that sits on the boundary between the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal, a town that boasts a population of 50 000... I am from a town called Kokstad and I am basically a proud farm girl.


Arriving at Sebonack Country Club in Southampton, New York, I really had no idea what to expect and I was certainly surprised. Who would have thought that one could find chickens in the Hamptons? I know I never did. But it turns out that Sebonack country club also practices poultry farming. We raise chickens for eggs and these are the very same eggs that we offer on our breakfast menu. Discovering this definitely took me back home.

As if learning about the chickens was not enough to leave me in awe, I was then introduced to Sebonack’s beehive. Yes, we produce our own honey, which is beautifully and proudly set on our tables in the dining rooms. Tell me that this is not impressive! This definitely sets us apart because we live in a world where the majority of people are now health conscious.


Kokstad is well known for its cold, biting, dry and bleak winters. Here, at Sebonack, they collect enough wood to last the entire winter. Walking into our staff housing, the beauty of the wood stacked in front of our building always catches my eye, and I think of how my hometown friends back in South Africa would love and appreciate this wood during the months of June and July. I can see them now, around the fire…


Sebonack, you definitely took me back home! Thanks for being my home away from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment