Tuesday 13 September 2011

9/11 Remembered













“Where were you when…?”

For each generation that question has different meaning. For our parents it was moments like the first moon landing, the assassination of JFK and the day Elvis died. For my generation it’s the fall of the Berlin wall, the freedom of Nelson Mandela, the day Diana died and the day that changed our world… the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

We all remember those poignant moments in our life, but the most important is 9/11. Today on the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the USA, I watched a rebroadcast of the NBC morning show detailing events as they unfolded that day. It reminded me of the exact moments where I was on that Tuesday in 2001 and all the emotions that I felt.

A few years later I took a trip to New York and downtown Manhattan where the twin towers once stood, and history was made. Standing at ground zero, I took a moment of reflection and remembered that fateful day and was in awe. I still couldn’t believe that I was standing there and of just what an impact those moments made on so many lives, not just Americans, but to everyone around the world.
I’m sure there will be many more “Where were you when…?” moments in our lives to come, so remember every experience and emotion as you never know if history is being written.


Author: Andre Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment