Wednesday 11 July 2018

The excitement of a Novice Golfer!

By Nasiphi Sobahle

Growing up, I have always had an interest in playing every sport one can possibly name however golf was not one of them. I grew up in an environment where golfing was stereotyped as not being a real sport, that it was boring and that golfers were not classified as “athletes”.


I have been brainwashed into thinking that the above was true and that the sport is for the rich and elite and that the middle-class individuals could not really afford to play. All of this has made me lose interest in all things golf related.


Six years ago, I ventured into the Workaway International programme and I was placed at the Hunters Run Golf Club. I am embarrassed to say that I still had no interest in learning about the sport even though I worked at a golf club and had all the information and resources made readily available to me.


Fast forward to today, I am now working at the Sebonack Golf Club for the summer, the members of Hunters Run could not believe that I was accepted to work in one of the world’s prestigious country clubs - they were happier than I was! This is a club where players like Mr. Tiger Woods & Dustin Johnson are regular guests. A club where the owner (Mr. M Pasccuci) personally selects who will become a member in his club and this is the very same club that allows the employees the opportunity to play golf. As I sit here and think about my journey, I am amazed at how far I have come with Workaway International and the country club lifestyle. 


I am excited to start my golf lessons after the US OPEN 2018 and I could have never dreamed of learning how to play golf anywhere else but the Sebonack Golf Club.


No comments:

Post a Comment