Monday 11 July 2016

The experience of a lifetime

By Stormy Cousins

The day my life changed, was the moment I received that phone call from Workaway International, saying that I had been accepted on the programme. My wish had come true and I was going to be going to the United States to work at Boca West Country Club as a hostess! I was full of emotions: nervous, as I had never left home before and I would be going on this adventure alone to a foreign country, and excited for the amazing experience that was to come.


I couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity. I got to expand my friend group with people from all around South Africa, Ireland, Romania and of course the US. I got to learn so much to do with the hospitality industry, and five-star fine dining. We worked hard yes, but we played hard too – we got the amazing opportunity to go to Universal Studios in Orlando Florida. It was one of my most memorable experiences while in the US. I had many adventures in Florida and there is much more I still would love to do, but that time of the programme was approaching, when we had to decide if we should go up North and extend our time in the country or go home. I made the decision to return home.



I was lucky to get a job, soon after my arrival in South Africa, with Workaway International themselves, at the offices in Cape Town. Learning the behind-the-scenes process of the programme has been very educational and a great learning curve.



It is great seeing friends and family and catching up, but I can’t wait to return to Florida for another season and create more memories, learn more and grow more as a person...


No comments:

Post a Comment