Monday 16 July 2012

Going Places!

By Jasper Burger
Since this is my first blog I should probably start by saying I have been on the program for some time now and that I am blessed for the places I have seen and experienced and the people I have met in the past few years working in the USA, I also for the opportunity now do be promoting and helping out with recruiting of new applicants in the JHB area for Workaway International. Every time I’m out promoting people ask me how I enjoyed it and asked if I have seen a little bit of the US itself. I can see the excitement on faces when we talk about it that for me is the best part!

That being said I remember growing up in a small town where you are expected to follow a certain route and that is what most people did which is fine but I always wanted to go another path and do something different. I just never knew what! Getting on a plane flying to the United States, working the hardest I’ve ever had to and experiencing places and sights one can only dream about was that something different.
Walking the streets of New York, skiing the mountains in Colorado, swimming the beaches of Miami or maybe even experiencing the capital of Washington DC felt surreal and I know and then I had to pinch myself when I think back of the places I’ve seen. I have also come to the conclusion that we South Africans do take our country for granted.  There is a lot to explore and see in our very own back yard as well. Places just as surreal as in USA are right here at home at our own disposal. I am definitely embracing my time here in good old South Africa.

A good man once said “You don’t know where you’re going if you don’t know where you have been” Will Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment