Friday 13 July 2012

Back in SA after 18 amazing months in the States…

I joined Workaway in 2010 and flew for my first time to the other side of the world.  We travelled 36 hours in total to our end destination in Jupiter, Florida.  It was a killer, but a memorable experience. 

I started working at the Jupiter Hills Club in Tequesta, Florida near West Palm Beach, FL.  I really enjoyed working with the über-wealthy members and co-workers from South Africa, Latin America and the USA.  I learned a lot about fine dining.

In my first season, I traveled a lot to different places.  I enjoyed the arranged trips to Disney World, Universal Studios and SeaWorld in Orlando, FL.  Later in the season, my friend and I went on a 4 day all-included cruise to the world-famous Bahamas from the Port of Miami. 

I got the wonderful opportunity to go work for a season at one of the clubs up North.  I worked for the summer months at one of America’s most prestigious clubs, named Sebonack Golf Club in the Hamptons, New York.  I saw a few celebrities in real life.  

New York City.  It’s a must see city.  I enjoyed walking around in famous places like 5th Avenue, Times Square, the Financial District, Chinatown, Little Italy, and my favourite Central Park.  There is an authentic South African restaurant in Brooklyn called ‘Madiba’s’ and probably every South African on Workaway’s programs has been there. 

It was time to return back to South Florida as the brutal winters started to approach North America. It was great to be back in the Sunshine State.  It was such a nice experience travelling and meeting people from all corners of the world.  You really become a much worldlier person after your travels. 

I returned to South Africa in May 2012 after 18 months in the Land of Opportunity.  I currently reside in Bloemfontein and I am soon going on a Northern European trip visiting friends I made in the States.  I am working at Vodacom for the duration that I will be in South Africa and soon I will be in the air, crossing the vast Atlantic Ocean to the North American continent for yet another exciting and wonderful season in sunny Florida.

Author:  Nicolaas Bester


1 comment:

  1. Nicolaas, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. Looking at the pictures and the transformation you made from day one in the states is absolutely incredible. You're an amazing young man!! It was an honor to work with you and to get to know you!

    P.s. make sure next seasons tables look just as good as that one in the last picture!

    Love always,
    Jolene
    Assistant F&B Manager
    Jupiter Hills Club

    ReplyDelete