Monday 29 August 2011

Travel and Tourism



One great opportunity the Workaway International program provided me was the opportunity to go work and travel abroad. I would otherwise have never had the opportunity to see and do all the amazing things the USA has to offer. I’ve been all along the east coast from Key West, Florida to Greenwich, Connecticut.

I was fortunate the last week to play SA tour guide to Angela from the Workaway Office in Florida, whose first time it was to come to South Africa. As a local, I never really took the time to see some of the amazing beauties of our wonderful country.

It was a great sunny Cape Town day and we headed out through Camps Bay and along the coast down to Cape Point. What an experience to stand where the two great oceans meet and look back at the view. Afterwards it was off to Spier Estate for Angela to pet the cheetahs, a little wine tasting was to follow. Then a dash back to the city for cocktails at sunset watching the sun dip into the sea…

This is not the first time I’ve had to play tour guide to someone from the US, but it is always a proudly South African moment to “show off” our country. I would have never had the opportunities the program has provided to me, had my best friend Rob not persuaded me nine years ago to take the chance.
The Country Clubs are in the process of finalizing their selections, but for those that have been selected and this is your first time traveling overseas, make the most of every opportunity that comes your way. You never know... you may get the opportunity to fly in a private jet to Key West for dinner.!!



Author: Andre Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment