Wednesday 22 January 2020

My Season So Far at Boca West Country Club

By Tyler Magalhaes


To say that my season so far has been a whirlwind of activity is an understatement. From the second I touched down it's been go go go. After a grueling two days of travelling I finally arrived at my apartment on the 7th of November in Boca Raton, Florida. The next day I had orientation and from then to the 28th of November I had an intensive training period which forged me into the server I am today. I work in the ultra-fine dining restaurant, Prime Cut. Whilst the service is extravagant, it’s ultimately the most fun I've ever had in a restaurant. We serve all food tableside which includes sharing and slicing steak, deboning fish and deshelling lobsters. Our presentation is largely extra to say the least. The Prime Cut team is one functional family – I love each and every staff member in Prime Cut and they have made the transition to the US smooth like clockwork. My newfound family got me through the insanity that was Christmas Week (s) as we went three weeks without a day off. They motivated me, pushed me, lifted me up and comforted me when I needed it and I, them.





Some pieces of advice for all prospective candidates:

·         Get. Your. Rest. Especially during the Christmas season.
·         Put money away with every pay check. It's easy to overspend.
·      Keep your apartment clean and tidy, you'll appreciate your consistent efforts at the   end of a long day at work.
·    Watch how you speak, and say please and thank you always. Misunderstandings   happen and when tensions are high it's easy for people to take offense.
·     Always have fun with whatever you're doing. I can honestly say that whilst we work hard, I manage to enjoy myself everyday (even on my worst days) even if it's not all day.

However, it hasn't been all work and no play. I've had wonderful adventures whilst being here. I've gone out until 6 in the morning, I've spent warm days in the sun on the beautiful beaches of Deerfield, I've explored Boca Raton and most recently I took a two-day trip down to Key West which is a definite item to add to anyone's bucket list. Some definite sites to see down in Key West: The southernmost point of the Continental US, the Ernest Hemingway house and museum, the oldest legal rum distillery in the Keys, the lighthouse and keepers museum, the Better than Sex Dessert shop, the Old Town Tavern and Beer Garden and the Dogs Bar are but just a few. Obviously get yourselves to a beach or aquatic centre so that you can soak up some sun, go snorkeling and definitely try and catch a sunset cruise.




This experience so far has made me far more independent, stronger and has given me new life experiences that I never even considered having. I look forward to what lays ahead and the new challenges that await me – which I plan to tackle head on.





No comments:

Post a Comment