Monday 11 November 2019

Picking up where we left off…

By Sonia Marques

I left South Africa almost one month ago now, even though it feels like it was just yesterday. It has been a rollercoaster of emotions, from missing home in the beginning, to then reuniting with old friends that I missed after leaving Florida last year at the end of May.  This was the first time I spent my birthday without my family, however having my friends in Florida here with me made it so much easier and they went out of their way to make the day special for me.




This is my fourth season working at Addison Reserve and I couldn’t be more excited and motivated. In about 2 weeks we will be opening a brand new restaurant called “The Grill” and I will have the privilege of being apart of this. One of the wonderful things about working at Addison is that I have had the opportunity to work at all 3 restaurants. This has allowed me to learn a lot about the country club itself and also keeps work exciting.



This season Addison hired people from South Africa, Austria, Germany, Italy and Portugal. The diverse cultures and personalities that I have come across from working here has been one of best experiences I have had and I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to meet so many people from all around the world, some that have even become very good friends and family.




By now you should be starting to settle into your new home for 7 months and transitioning from what you know into the unknown. However, do not be alarmed if the unknown hasn’t been discovered yet as this will happen gradually as you find your place here in paradise. Your time here in Florida, away from family, will be made easier once you establish relationships within your work and social circles. So get out there, be the greatest version of yourself and Carpe Diem. 

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
~ Oscar Wilde

With Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment