Monday 1 July 2013

Home Sweet Home

By Nivedna Sewchurran
When I was younger and back home in South Africa, all I could think about was traveling abroad to be able to experience life in a different country, meet new people, and encounter the different cultures that are found in various parts of the worlds.  I was very lucky because I got to experience all of this thanks to Workaway International.
While I was working overseas on the Workaway program I had the opportunity to travel in and around the USA. Being away from home for such a long time was fun and exciting, but also made me sad at times, mainly during Christmas, New Year, birthdays and the many other important times that I usually spent with my family.  I didn't realise how much I would miss home until I actually left.
South Africa has some of the most beautiful locations on earth. With our great weather, amazing mountains and gorgeous beaches, South Africa is definitely one in a million. Although America was great and I thoroughly enjoyed my time over there, I still missed the little things that we sometimes don't appreciate when we’re at home.
South African food was definitely one of the aspects I missed the most.  The many flavours used in our dishes and the various food items present in the different South African cultures is what makes our food some of the best I’ve ever tasted .  Having a proudly South Africa braai at the dam with my family and friends has always been one of my favourite things to do.
South Africa has so much to offer that no matter where I am in the world, South Africa will always be my home.


No comments:

Post a Comment