Wednesday 17 July 2019

Living the American Dream

By Leigh Septoo 

As cliché as it might sound, leaving your home country and traveling to a different part of the world is truly a life changing experience.


I moved to Florida in 2017 with my bags packed and nerves running wild, eager to experience what many people call ‘The American Dream’. 

I do not regret joining the Workaway International programme. I received the opportunity to live and work in the USA and the past two years have been such an amazing experience. 

From travelling to different parts of the country, vacationing on a cruise to the Bahamas, experiencing Miami nights and the gorgeous Florida beaches, not to mention having the opportunity to meet new and exciting people from all over the world. Your co-workers are from different places in the world and to meet and experience their cultures and languages is so exciting.



Although hard work and long hours are a part of your daily routine while working at the country club, it pays off. You are set with references from an international place of employment that will truly help you in the future. You also gain a lot of experience in different areas of the hospitality industry, and in between all the work, you get to have fun with new friends. 


I was also fortunate enough to live and work in Chicago. I have never been more in love with a city. I loved showing my family in South Africa pictures and videos of Lake Michigan, Millennium Park and the city. 


Moving away from home, may seem scary at first but the possibilities are endless. You get the opportunity to see the world and travel to beautiful and exciting places. I am eager to return to Florida for my 4th season and make new amazing memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment