Tuesday 5 January 2016

Work hard, Play hard!

By Megan Nevett

Well I have only been in Miami for 3 days short of a month now, and I can gladly say that it is already starting to feel like home!


With Christmas being just around the corner, work is crazy busy, with everyone having to work double shifts as there are functions happening on a daily and nightly basis.  I am definitely not complaining though as double shifts mean overtime – so bring on the silly season!  In Miami all the South Africans live for Fridays, but not because we get the day off or it’s the start of our weekend….but because it's pay day! And man oh man does hard work pay off in the end.


My motto is work hard and play hard, so on Sunday evenings the South Africans all go to a place called Roxy’s. With rooftop views, good vibes and music, it somewhat feels like home, where we can all get together, relax and unwind after a very busy week.  We also enjoy Claematis Street, which is definitely the place to be over the weekend. It's similar to Long Street in Cape Town or Stanley Street in Port Elizabeth, with plenty of bars and restaurants to explore.


So even though most of the people I have met in Miami are South Africans, it is a good idea to try and make friends with some of the locals. Massiel, the one and only American colleague that I work with  has been a great help to me by giving me advise and tips on how to find my way around Palm Beach.  She also knows where all the secret shopping spots are and where to go for the best burgers in town (which almost taste like Spur Burgers to me – a little bit of home – sigh!)

I'm looking forward to some time off from work, so I can hit the beaches of Palm Beach and relax for a day soaking up the sun, and perhaps a nice cool cocktail or two.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas and all the best for 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment