Tuesday 24 August 2021

Short lived but great experience that is to be continued…

By Gina Kekana

Honestly if someone told me that I would be working in America, I would have thought that they were joking. I am not from an ambitious family in that we weren’t the kind of family that explored relocation in another country let alone on another continent. I heard about the program and honestly, I was blown away and knew that I needed to apply no matter what.

The first time I applied I made it till the country club interviews but unfortunately for me there weren’t any more positions available. I did not give up and I applied the following year and I made it all the way through. It's honestly a feeling I cannot describe when you get your flight pack and reality kicks in.

Landing in Florida and getting slapped by the heat and humidity was so unexpected but enjoyable. Finally shopping at a Walmart was even better! Meeting new housemates was something different. We all needed to try and be open so that we could get to know each other and we did.

Arriving at Boca West County Club was my highlight as I could not believe that I would be the one working in such a beautiful place every day. Blessed was Gina for making it this far and being here, EARNING DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!



There was so much to do in Florida, there are amazing beaches, restaurants, bars, museums, adventure sports and many amazing people to meet from all over America. Unfortunately my time was cut short due to the pandemic but I’m excited for what the next season holds. I will be sure to do more and explore more as I was also looking forward to going up north to New York for the summer program.


This would have never been possible if Workaway International South Africa did not believe in me. I can be a lot to handle but when I put my mind to something, I fully commit to it and that is why I never gave up till I made it in. Thank you to Charlotte and the team for believing in me.

Hopefully this season turns out to be yet another fantastic season, all the best to the applicants and remember, it's all about you 😊




No comments:

Post a Comment