Friday 29 May 2020

28 states in 2 years!

By Marco Loubser

My journey with Workaway International started in late 2017. I had just finished studying and thought it would be a great opportunity to experience a different country. Little did I know how amazing the next two and a half years would turn out to be.


I spent my first season in Florida where a group of nervous South Africans was greeted by the staff of the Addison Reserve Country Club. They were so nice! It can be very intimidating walking into one of the best country clubs in America, but everyone made us feel very welcome and all the new faces quickly became close friends.


I spent 6 amazing months in Florida. From playing on some of the best golf courses I have ever seen to soaking up the warm Miami beach sun. I was going back for more.
After Florida I spent my Summer season at Bald Peak Colony Club up in the beautiful mountains of New Hampshire. I traded my beach time for early morning hikes that led me to breath-taking views of Lake Winnipesaukee and instead of going to clubs in the evening we'd spend our time around the fire gazing at some of the brightest stars I have ever seen. It was a different experience but just as amazing in its own way.


I spent the rest of my time in New Mexico and South Carolina. They were all special in their own ways. What blew my mind was how different the people were from state to state. Always very welcoming but the diversity was something to behold.


Unfortunately, everything came to a standstill with the COVID-19 epidemic. Workaway International worked around the clock to get us home safely and have been in constant contact with us throughout our quarantine in Johannesburg.

Working abroad has been the best decision I have ever made. I have traveled to 28 States, seen monuments I never would have imagined seeing, played on golf courses designed by iconic golfers (like Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer just to name a few), and met the most amazing people that will stay in my life forever.


If you ever feel like a new challenge or want some experience on your resume, give Workaway International a call. It will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment