Monday 4 November 2019

Goodbye for now New York

By Tara Clampett

Wow! What an amazing five months it has been. Coming from South Africa, I would only dream that one day I would be able to LIVE in New York and this was my reality for the past few months.


I remember feeling very anxious about leaving my Boca West family in mid-May 2019 to embark on a new adventure. I was apprehensive about serving again after the last time I had served in a country club was back in 2017 and also about new colleagues, a new roommate, new bosses…everything! But now reflecting on my experiences at Glen Oaks Club, I am so grateful that I took the opportunity. I truly met amazing people who all impacted my life; my roommate was one of the most genuine, kind, caring girls that I have ever met and after a few days of settling in it felt like we’d known each other for life.


We definitely worked hard but now reminiscing about my summer and how much I did in those few months makes all those double shifts worth it. Besides exploring New York City whenever we had the chance to, we also saved up and took a trip to Chicago. This is a beautiful city, almost like a smaller and less busy version of NYC…we started off our trip with a baseball game at the famous Wrigley Stadium, the next day we visited the Instagram-worthy icon “The Bean”, went up to the Skydeck (beautiful view but terrifying to step onto the all-glass deck) and ended off our trip kayaking in Lake Michigan.




I am so grateful to everyone I met at Glen Oaks, especially my managers Juan and Steve who always treated us with care and consideration. It was a great NY summer and I’m sure I will be back in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment